Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Happy Birthday to me!


I have had a wonderful birthday so far this year. I got to spend time with friends who appreciate me for me, with all my quirks. I go to go shopping, an activity I love. I got to eat good food and chocolate cake. I got to stay up late and talk trash about celebrities, and the exploits of the girls on SATC. I took the day off yesterday and spent it all with TH.


35 years old. It feels strange. I feel more confident, more me than ever. I hope I'll feel these even more at 45. I'm living the life I always wanted: good job, with great coworkers, enough challenges to make it interesting, but not so much responsibility that I lose sleep; happy marriage; a house of our own; travel; good health. After the turbulence of the last few years, and the hindsight of the years I have so far, it feels really good to be sure of this life and my happiness with it. Truly, nothing is lacking.


In the next phase of my life (could be one year, could be five), I'd like to:


  • Keep working at my current job. I have no big plans for new work or big promotions - I think I'd like to keep tinkering at my job and get better at it.

  • Travel more. We're looking at Galapagos in 2010, maybe Europe again in 2011.

  • Learn another language. Spanish, French, or ASL (American Sign Language) come to mind.

  • Think things through before taking action or speaking.

  • Maybe start running or swimming regularly. Maybe.

  • Clear out the clutter of my life: books, clothes, STUFF. On a regular basis. Once every 6 months. Hmm.

  • Get outside more.

  • Eat vegetables at every lunch and dinner.

  • Utilize the public library more than amazon.com

  • Sing every day, even if it's only in the shower.

  • Eliminate road rage from my driving experiences.

Maybe an ambitious list. But there's something valuable in the process of considering.


"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift." -- Eleanor Roosevelt

1 comment:

Emily said...

Hooray for you! Here's to many more wonderful birthdays. I hope you had a great one! XOXO.