Monday, March 31, 2008

Every now and then...

There are good days, bad days, perfect days, "ehhh" days, and every now and then, a wonderful day. Yesterday was a wonderful day.

I became a deacon this year, in January, but due to our cruise, I missed the ordination service. It was rescheduled for yesterday. As a surprise, my brother (a pastor) came to help officiate. Wonderful!! I so wanted him to be there, but with three small children to corral and a church to run, it's usually impossible to organize his presence unless it's at his church. So having my parents and my brother there was wonderful. I did miss my sis-in-law and the girls, but it's tough enough to get them all ready for an ordinary day...much less something unusual.

Since I had my parents to myself all day, I decided to take advantage of my mom's knowledge and we set up a beautiful front porch. I am no gardener, but my mom and my sister-in-law are. Having previously brainstormed ideas with them, I had a sense of what I wanted to do. I'd also been looking at outdoor furniture for weeks and trying to decide what to do. My dad's job was to decide which chairs were comfortable. Oh, and to name our new garden friend.

Here is the result:

Chairs and table, Pier One. (Chairs were on clearance for $45!)



Pots and flowers, Lowe's.Table top detail. Love it!

A garden that attracts a gnome (Meet Norm, everyone): Priceless.

4 comments:

African Kelli said...

Congrats on your ordination! That is huge. I am so proud of you.
And three cheers for family who spoils you. Your gnome should be named Gnorm. :)

Jennifer said...

Ha! Yes. (My dad would appreciate your sense of humor.)

Anonymous said...

"...I urge you to live the life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace." (Eph 4: 1 - 3)

Emily said...

Congratulations on becoming a deacon! Sadly, I don't know what that entails, but it sounds important. Love Norm.