1. We drove out of northern California, in some of the worst winter storms that I can remember. High winds up to 100 mph, airports and freeways completely shut down, rain and flooding of local streets, uprooted trees, and businesses closing shop to let people get home.
2. Our flight from SFO was delayed, getting us into LAX late. Actually we made it to LAX pretty much on time, but were stuck on the tarmac for 2 hours. Mind you, this is all at night - the middle of the night.
3. By the time we could get off the plane, it was about 1:30 am and all connecting flights but ours had left. We thought we wouldn't make it, in part because we had an elderly gentleman in the aisle seat next to me that used a wheelchair to get on the plane (and thusly, off again). But he recognized our plight and blocked the plane's aisle with his cane, let us climb over him, and didn't wince as we crunched his toes.
4. I did see Kimora Lee Simmons and her children, with Djimon Hounsou behind her (apparently they are an item), at LAX. I guess this part was not so harrowing, but I thought I'd throw it in there.
5. Our flight was late out of LAX, leaving at about 2:15 am. Yes.
6. We got to Fort Lauderdale around 10:30 the next morning, and called our hotel for the shuttle. The driver was in an unmarked van and passed us twice until it occurred to him to get out and verify we were his pick-up. We mentioned, slightly irritated, that if his van was marked it would have helped (later we saw him get the large magnetized sign that goes on the side of the van).
7. Of course, due to all the cruisers, we couldn't check in till 2:00 pm. Luckily there was Mama's Latin Cafe, a hole in the wall place where we could get some food.
More travel tales and pictures tomorrow. I plan to milk this for days. :)