Sunday, March 1, 2009

Well, that was fast.

I'm a little sheepish to see that it's been over a week since I've blogged, and I don't have a good excuse (like being on vacation, or being computer-less) to explain it... Time just got away from me. Hopefully things will even back out this week.

Just in time for Lent.

So. Lent. Encompassing the time from Ash Wednesday (Feb. 25) to Easter. Time for reflection, sacrifice, contemplation. Upon reflection, I've decided to sacrifice this year: I'm giving up shopping for clothes, shoes, accessories, etc. I'm allowing myself to buy books and/or cd's, but in a very limited way, and in my mind, that doesn't count as shopping. Shopping is the mall, cute outfits, good deals, a new pair of shoes that I don't need, a cute new Spring-y purse. Shopping is the rush from that perfect necklace to go with that amazing dress. Shopping is throwing down the credit card. Shopping is not necessary but will be hard for me to do without. Thus the contemplation.

Just in time for my birthday.

So. My birthday is Wednesday. It's a not a major one, but I'm thinking about where I am and where I want to be; the progress I've made and the lapses that held me back. Wondering what this year will hold, and superstitiously trying not to be overly optimistic (as if my optimism brings on negative events).

Just in time for whatever comes next.

So. Whatever comes next? Work, play, hobbies, books, baking, paying bills, thinking too much, and trying to stay connected to those I love. These are the things which ultimately, lead to time getting away from me. What about you?

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I considered giving up shopping for Lent, but I just couldn't do it this year. After I get through this whole sugar thing, I'll definitely consider it for next year. Good for you!

African Kelli said...

I hope your birthday was excellent and Lent gives you much needed time to be with spirit. :) It is one of my favorite times of year!