Friday, February 20, 2009

Filling my spare time

My spare time has shrunk quite a bit this year. Due to an increase in Deacon duties, many of my weeknights are spent prepping and databasing and printing and phone-calling. It's a joy to serve, and a blessing to many, but it's like another job. (Probably the most interesting thing about serving is how much I'm learning my heart had shrunk - a la the Grinch - a size or two smaller than I would like. But that's for another post. Maybe.) But I carve out time for my two favorite activities - reading and listening to music.




I just started a book by Diane Ackerman called The Zookeeper's Wife. A true story, it tells of Antonina Zabinski and her husband Jan, whose Warsaw zoo was bombed during WWII. They ended up saving people from the Nazis by hiding them in the zoo. I don't read a lot of history, as a general rule. But this book caught my eye for a number of reasons, and I find it engrossing so far.


I'm also enjoying India.Arie's new cd. I love (love, love, love) her Testimony: Volume 1 CD, so you can imagine how excited I got about her new one. Her voice is getting sweeter and her songs are still relevant. Good stuff.

No comments: