But something about this just seems wrong to me.
What could it be?
- Is it the fact that this woman is basically a walking uterus?
- Is it that the father's name is Jim Bob? And they're from Arkansas? (would I feel the same if they were from a different part of the country? One that is more "educated"?)
- Is it that they have named all their offspring with names that start with "J"?
- Is it that there are so many children in this country and this world who are orphaned, unwanted, and in need of a good home? It seems like they should take some of those kids in before they have more.
- Is it the suspicion that the older kids are taking care of ("parenting") the younger kids? Is that fair on them?
- Is it disbelief and cynicism over how one man could possibly provide for all these children (cuz you know that momma ain't bringing in no income)?
- Is it the comment that they will keep having kids "as long as God wills it?" I mean, I personally thank God daily for birth control and healthy surgical sterilization methods. He "willed" those, right?
What do you think about this? Am I out of line for being completely weirded out? Please, someone explain this to me.
And yes, I am aware that my biases are showing, so please don't lecture me about being stereotypical, I should be more open-minded, it's-a-free-country, etc. I appreciate all that. It's just that this life that they're living is so completely unfathomable to me. I need some help understanding it.