Wednesday, January 27, 2010

It's the Little Things

I'm realizing that my happiness at work is not just determined by the BIG THINGS - environment, coworkers, boss, duties - but also by the little things. The new semester started Monday and I am positive this will be a better semester than last. I am making an intentional effort to pursue the following little things:
  • socialize more. I sometimes get so tied to my office that I forget how important it is to chat with my coworkers. A simple "good morning" and "how was your weekend" will not get in the way of our duties and will go a long way towards smoothing away the grumpies.
  • close my office door. I spent so long in cubicles and reception desks that I often forget I have a door I can close. This small step can make a big difference in how I concentrate and maintain my sanity.
  • listen to music at work. See previous post.
  • take my breaks. While I will always stop to eat, I don't always get up and out of my office and away from my desk. Even a five-, ten-, or fifteen- minute walk helps reset my mental functioning and takes some of the tension out of my shoulders.

What little things would make a big difference in your day?

No comments: