Friday, January 22, 2010

Deep knowledge

Do you know something about yourself so deeply that you keep forgetting it? I do. For me it's my love of music. My mom and dad tell me that as a baby, I responded to music early on. They tell me that one of the only things to soothe me was to have someone hold me and sing or hum to me. I made up songs, listened to music, made music, all through childhood. I play violin, sing, and I'm learning piano. Nothing makes me happier than singing along to the radio or my iPod or the song stuck in my head. TH and I met doing musical theater. I could go on.

What's interesting to me is how I know all this, yet each time I feel stressed, I don't automatically turn to music. But if I just listen to music, or spend time practicing an instrument, it's like a whole world opens up to me all over again. I feel the burdens fall from my shoulders. I feel renewed. And a good boogie to my favorite tune is enough to lift my mood for an evening.

What deep knowledge do you have to remind yourself of?

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I feel the same way about music. I haven't been listening to it nearly enough in the last year, and I feel like I've rediscovered it again in the last couple of months. I feel like life has been breathed back into me again, it's amazing.

Renee said...

For me, it's dance. I don't have many choices out here for the dance I love to do but our gym has Zumba and it's close.