Friday, January 29, 2010

Adventures in Eating

Since we started our CSA subscription, affectionately known as our "farm box," I've experienced new culinary revelations. Here are some.
  • After receiving butternut squash at every delivery for the past three months, I am now officially DONE with this particular gourd. I love me some butternut - don't get me wrong - but after multiple rounds of soup, roasted with garlic, baked with stuffing, mashed, etc. - I'm tired of it! I have one more recipe to try - muffins. Then enough till next fall.
  • I have eaten more mandarin oranges in the past several weeks than I have in my entire life up to this point. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
  • Farm box carrots are waaaaaayyyy better than grocery store carrots.
  • The apples are the perfect size. So are the potatoes.
  • Turnips. The jury is still out.
  • Greens. I have now tried collards, kale, bok choy, tatsoi, and chard. I'm developing a taste for them.
  • Lettuce actually has a flavor.
  • Garlic doesn't have to be bitter.
  • Eggs from happy chickens. 'Nuff said.
  • Fresh herbs are really easy to dry and taste much better than bottled ones.
  • TH loves the fresh beets.
  • I love leeks. Who knew?

For more information about CSAs, see here.

No comments: