Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Women Who Dared, V

Katherine Sui Fun Cheung
(1904-2003)
Ms. Cheung was the first Chinese American woman to become a licensed pilot. "Sui Fun" means courage and long life in Chinese. She immigrated to the US at age 17. While Chinese women were supposed to be quiet and meek, she overcame both cultural and gender expectations. Ms. Cheung loved performing daredevil stunts, and was invited to join many national and international pilot organizations. At the age of 93, she explained in a Los Angeles Times interview, "I wanted to fly, so that's what I did. Some of this stuff I've forgotten, but a lot of it I didn't pay any attention to at the time. I was too busy having fun."

Ms. Cheung, I salute you.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Alot happens in Los Angeles... Other gals you've mentioned, Amy Semple McPherson too...

Dave said...

I don't think I've ever met a Chinese or Chinese-American woman who was "quiet and meek".

Jennifer said...

@Dave - that's why stereotypes= BAD.