Saturday, April 11, 2009

Book Review

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, by Mary Anne Shaffer and Annie Barrows.
What a delightful book! The story unfolds in letters between an author, Juliet Ashton, and the members of the society. Also included are Juliet's letters to her editor and friends. The time is post WW II Britain. Juliet is trying to figure out what to write, and strikes up a correspondence with Dawsey Adams, a farmer on the island of Guernsey. As their friendship unfolds, Juliet becomes familiar with the society, formed during the Nazi occupation of the island. I loved the characters in this book. I felt a kinship with Juliet, and recognized the personalities of many of the others. I was also fascinated by the tales related about teh German occupation of Guernsey. While fictionalized, they gave me a look at history that I haven't seen before. I highly recommend this book!

1 comment:

African Kelli said...

I've seen this book several times. Must pick it up. Thanks!