Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy Birthday, U.S.!!

I've been thinking a lot the past couple days about what it means to me to be free.

  • It means that I can make choices about my life, instead of having those choices made for me.
  • It means that I can think, say, and write what I want without fear of reprisal from the government.
  • It means that I can choose not to participate in patriotic activities.
  • It means that I can choose to participate in activities critical of my government.
  • It means that I can freely travel without suspicion.
  • It means that I am protected from search, seizure, and harassment from government agents without just cause.
  • It means that I can be protected from discrimination.
  • It means that I can vote my conscience. Heck, it means I can VOTE!!
  • It means that I can love my country, and love other countries just as much.
  • It means that I can be opposed to war without being opposed to my country.
  • It means that I can be free from propaganda and think for myself.
  • It means that I can support a woman's right to make decisions about her body.
  • It means that I can support the right of all citizens to benefit from well, benefits.
  • It means that I can support the dignity and rights of all people in this country, whether they are citizens or not.
  • It means that I can support the conservation of this earth, in addition to the people on it.
  • It means that any of you can disagree with me, and that the resulting discussion will serve to make our nation more interesting, stronger, and a better place to live.

Happy Independence Day!! What does freedom mean to you?

(See the text of the Declaration of Independence.)

3 comments:

Emily said...

And unfortunately, it means you have the right to bear arms. I don't like that one. :(

On a brighter note, I hope you have a great 4th, Jen!

Jennifer said...

I think I would like it better if people weren't so darn stupid with them. I just read an article today about a little girl who got hit by a stray bullet, from someone firing a gun in the air. Stupid!! Luckily she's doing fine.

Have a great 4th, yourself!

Emily said...

The French are so surprised about our rights to bear arms in the US. It seems as if they think everyone has one under their pillow. I try to explain that not everyone supports this dangerous right we all have.