In no particular order, here are the things we will not miss about apartment life.
1) It's old. Things keep breaking down or not working. Yes, I realize this could happen in a new home, too, but...there's been 30 years of home-building technology since our apartments were built. That's gotta count for something.
2) Doing laundry in the laundry room.
3) Cheap carpet.
4) Sharing walls with the breezeway, and hearing everyone walk or run by.
5) Parking garage.
6) Slow elevator (see also #1).
7) Doing laundry in the laundry room.
8) Revelers who decide to party on Thursday at 3 am.
9) Smokers whose cigarette smoke wafts in regularly, every day, at half hour increments. We've identified at least 3 different smokers by their scents.
10) A crappy oven.
11) Popcorn ceiling.
12) Shower doors and the yucky stuff that grows in the door runners.
13) Metal mini-blinds.
14) The lack of trick-or-treaters. Although the complex has lots of families, no one goes trick-or-treating. It's very sad.
15) Kids who pee in the pool.
16a) Paying rent.
16b) Rent increases every year.
17) Doing laundry in the laundry room.
18) One toilet.
19) Hearing our neighbors. Um, enough said.
20) Dealing with apartment management.
And did we mention doing laundry in the laundry room??