Monday, December 31, 2007

A New Year

Reflections on a new year... some of the things I've been thinking about lately.

TH and I were chatting yesterday about how fast time flies. We can't believe 2007 is on its way out the door!

I was talking with my sister-in-law about how tired I was of grieving. There have been 6 losses in the last 6 years, in my life. Grieving is a mixed bag. It feels unbearable when you're in the midst of it. If you let it, it softens you. If you let it, it hardens and embitters you. It messes with my brain and changes how I think, literally and metaphorically. And yet, loss is inevitable and part of life. I know my experiences all add to my character. (But isn't there an easier way??)

I'll be starting work as a Deacon at my church this year. It's a three-year commitment. I dreamed about it last night, and feel completely unequipped for this ministry.

My second "grandchild" will be born this spring. (TH is 12 years older than I am, and his kids are young adults, so this really isn't as weird as it may sound.) I don't feel like a grandmother, yet a part of me yearns for the generational connection.

I'll be facing some challenges at work this spring - I know of one already that will seem like a repeat of last spring. Fun.

Settling into our home continues. There are still plenty of projects to keep us busy! I'm learning to live with incompletion.


All in all, I believe I am moving from a season of winter into a season of spring, in my life. New growth, new beginnings. I feel hopeful and anticipatory. I hope the ashes of loss will fertilize the soil that has laid fallow, making the way for some beautiful new sprouts. What is the season of your life? What will the new year bring you?

1 comment:

Emily said...

Wishing you and C a happy and healthy new year!