Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Latest Books of Note

Or, what I did this summer.
  • To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee. This summer was the 50th anniversary of the book, so a good excuse to read it again. I must say - it was better this time than when I was 12. Great story, great characters, great lessons.
  • Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, by Barbara Kingsolver. It is not an exaggeration for me to say that this book has changed my life.
  • Some Girls: My Life in a Harem, by Jillian Lauren. What I thought would be trashy lightweight reading a la People or Us magazine turned out to be an insightful, tragic, and informative account of Jillian's experiences. I was moved, and educated.
  • Orange is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison, by Piper Kerman. Eye-opening and fascinating, but not in a sensational way. What I love about Piper's account is how she brings honesty and humanity to her portrayals of the women she met. This book has made me want to help inmates transition back to the outside. But I don't know what to do with that yet.
  • Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stevenson. Non-stop action and adventure. And c'mon, PIRATES.
  • Lady Julia Grey Trio - Silent as the Grave, Silent in the Sanctuary, and Silent on the Moor, by Deanna Rayburn. First of all, deal of the summer - all three of these in a bundle on my kindle for $9.99. Score! Second of all, great escapist books - very Victorian Gothic, very mysterious, very British. Nice break from the every day.
  • Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon. Recommended for years by Mom, finally I'm getting to it. Great read with dashing hero and intelligent heroine, time travel, Scots brogue, history, and lots of sexy bits. What more could you want, I ask you.

What are you reading this summer?

No comments: