Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Books for Black History Month

In honor of Black History Month, here are some books I've read that have educated me and helped me view my role as a White person in both perpetuating and working to eliminate racial injustice towards my Black brothers and sisters.

  • "It's the Little Things: Everyday Interactions That Anger, Annoy, and Divide the Races" by Lena Williams.
  • "A People's History of the United States" by Howard Zinn.
  • "Uprooting Racism: How White People can Work for Social Justice" by Paul Kivel.
  • "A Country of Strangers: Blacks and Whites in America" by David Shipley.
  • "Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl" by Harriet Jacobs.
  • "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou.
  • "The Bluest Eye" by Toni Morrison.
  • "Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong" by James Loewen.
  • "Pedagogy of the Oppressed" by Paulo Freire (if you're really feeling academic...)
  • "The Wind Done Gone" by Alice Randall.
  • "Slaves in the Family" by Edward Ball.
  • "Cane River" by Lalita Tademy.
  • "Invisible Man" by Ralph Ellison.
  • "Black Boy" by Richard Wright.
  • "A Raisin in the Sun" by Lorraine Hansberry.

Good reads, all.

No comments: