Friday, August 14, 2009

The best things in life

For my last summer Friday day off, I took myself downtown to the California Museum. This hidden gem tells the stories of great Californians, in its California Hall of Fame. It also presents a display of California's remarkable women, which moved me deeply. To see so many women, such a broad array of talent - from artist to athlete to activist - finally recognized, and to realize that each one of those recognized was supported, mentored, and backed up by many others, was so powerful. But I digress.



The main exhibit I went to see was titled, With Malice Towards None. It is the Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial Exhibition, from the Library of Congress. This display is one of only 5 in the entire nation.

Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it. -- Mr. Lincoln.

All this, for $8.50.

Next I walked over to a Sacramento institution, the Fox and Goose pub. This one-of-a-kind restaurant serves amazing pub fare, but also yummy breakfasts, and is the site of a vibrant live music scene. Today's meal: poached eggs, a crumpet (with lots of butter, of course), and a grilled tomato. Delish. All this, for $10.00.

Continuing my travels, I passed the fortune cookie factory, and stepped in for a bag of rejects. Yummies, for $1.25.

My last stop? Beers Books. My fave used/new bookstore, this place has a resident store cat and 10% off book purchases during the lunch hour, M-F. I found several great books in the sidewalk sale bins, and, browsing, also found my next book club read: Pascali's Island by Barry Unsworth. Score!! 5 books, for $8.32.

A great day, supporting local economy, enjoying all the things I love, for less than $30.00. Gotta love it.

No comments: