Sunday, June 8, 2008

Strong Women

I just got done seeing this movie.

WOW.
Whenever I see such a strong woman, I feel both empowered and depressed. Empowered, because I stand on her shoulders. I wouldn't be who I am without strong women, in my family, in my history, in this nation's history. Depressed, because I feel like I do not have the same gusto, and I wonder what's wrong with me. I don't think I could have stood up to the mills like my girl Norma did. I don't think I could have been so single-minded.
However, I do have the same passion for justice. I do advocate for those who are traditionally voiceless. I have been known to speak my mind to powers that disregard what I have to say.
So, I suppose, I've got a little Norma Rae in me after all. And that makes me feel better.
See this movie!!

2 comments:

Emily said...

From this movie, came Sally Fields famous speech that included: "You LIKE me. You really really LIKE me.", as she accepted the Academy Award.

Jennifer said...

I thought that was from "Places in the Heart"? Her second win. Hmmm. Time for me to google Sally Fields!!

Anywho, yes - I really like her. :)