Saturday, June 28, 2008

I got rhythm

All deep things are song. It seems somehow the very central essence of us, song; as if all the rest were but wrappages and hulls! ~Thomas Carlyle


As one of my deacon duties, I volunteered to go with our pastor on communion visits to shut-ins. I thought it would be nice to take music along. I know one of the things that gives my life joy is music, and without it, the experience of communion would not be the same. So I'll be toting my violin along next Sunday.
This means I need to practice. I don't remember the last time I pulled out the old fiddle. When I got it out today, all the strings were loose - one was broken - and the bridge was wobbly. I fixed it up in short order, tucked it under my chin, and started playing. And was blown away by the feel and sound of my instrument. I'd forgotten how music feels - literally, the vibrations tickle your sternum and your breathing changes. Your brain gets oriented on a new wave. The notes flow through you and your body merges with the instrument. It's primal. I'd forgotten. And it doesn't matter that I'm rusty, or that my technique is not as precise as Joshua Bell. All I feel is the joy, pure joy, of making music.


What have you forgotten, in your life, that brings you joy? What's stopping you from picking it up again?

No comments: