Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Lessons from the Supervisor's Notebook

When my expectations from my workers are high, I get quality results. When my expectations are low, I get poor results.

When I am clear about my expectations, my workers know what they need to do.

When I put myself in my workers' shoes, I am better able to give them the information they need to do a good job.

When my workers know when and how to reach me, they actually "need" to contact me less often.

When I think highly of the work, so do my workers.

When I create a supportive work environment, there is less turnover.

When I approach problems with their work in a collaborative way, my workers are more likely to make improvements to their work patterns.

When I say what I mean and mean what I say, my workers know they can count on me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any observations or lessons you have learned from supervising others, feel free to share them.

1 comment:

Katie said...

I have found that when I validated that my workers have given someone the correct information (i.e. explained a policy correctly), it instills not only confidence (in my workers and in me) that my workers know what they are talking about when it comes to their job, it also helps the person they are providing services for know that they can respect and count on what the worker says.

Also, when I do not criticize my workers in front of others, it lets them know that I respect their feelings.